Friday, March 11, 2011

Boss

                I’ve been sick this past week.   I felt like lying in bed half watching Oprah and nibbling cold Kraft Dinner.  The kid needed to have bottles, eat bananas, be read to and otherwise entertained.  It’s like he doesn’t care that I’m sick at all. 

I mean, don’t get me wrong.  I knew what I was getting into. Whatever sir wishes, I provide.  Want out of the uterus?  You want to use what as an exit?  Squeeze on through.  Want to stay up for five months?  I’m your hallucinatory wing man.  You want to play peek-a-boo for another hour?  Peek-a-frickin’-boo to you.   

As he’s getting older, he’s starting to have equal parts needs and wants.  He picks up the wants from me and the husband.  I’m the one who introduced him to peek-a-boo, it’s not like he picked it up on the street.  

There is a line though.  I’m hoping I can shield him for a bit longer from some negative outside influences.  Specifically, I don’t want him to enjoy modern children’s music.  I don’t mean the itsy bitsy spider, that’s my jam.  I’m talking about the friggin’ Wiggles.  I. just. can’t. do. It. 

Kid likes Jay-Z, Kid likes the Otis and don’t get me started on his reaction to the Breeders.  I too enjoy these things.  I’m hoping that we can continue this soundtrack for quite some time.  If I win this small battle I'll be happy, until he wants to play hockey.
 

1 comment:

  1. I understand the challenge, especially the 'outside influences'.

    We've scoured the interwebs to find some classic wholesome 70s-80s media for childhood entertainment; Sesame Street, the original Thomas the Tank Engine (yay Ringo Starr), Sharon Lois and Bram :)

    ReplyDelete